Our story | Images | Press releases
Wellmo in Brief
Wellmo is a cloud-based mobile platform for insurance companies. With Wellmo’s platform, insurers can select the best apps and services on the market, and integrate them into a unified user experience. By deploying Wellmo, insurance companies are able to offer differentiated, effective, engaging and scalable health services through mobile health. This improves the wellbeing of their members and reduces healthcare costs.
The Wellmo team has decades of combined experience in health technologies and services. Wellmo was founded in 2012 as a Nokia spin-off and is headquartered in Espoo, Finland.
Wellmo’s founder Jaakko Olkkonen got personally interested in wellness and the way in which our own habits impact our wellbeing roughly 10 years ago. He was taking a sabbatical from his executive role at Nokia, and realised he needed to make changes to his own habits. Upon his return to work, Jaakko got into health tech and lead Nokia’s Wellness business for several years leading a team of 60 people before Nokia closed down the unit as part of its business restructuring.
Jaakko saw the enormous potential within health tech, and decided to found Wellmo together with Sampo Niskanen, a lead developer working in Jaakko’s team. Wellmo licensed Nokia’s Wellness Diary mobile application, which had over 1 million downloads, and started to develop a business around it.
Images & Resources
Here you can view and download our mediakit resources.
Full resolution images for print / web:
Check out our press releases:
- Wellmo to help German insurance industry develop new digital health services in cooperation with Sanvartis (09.11.2017)
- Wellmo Awarded ISO 27001 Certification (05.07.2017)
- Leading European Health Startups are Joining Forces to Better Serve Insurers (12.06.2017)
- Wellmo raises €1.3 Million in First Round of Funding (20.04.2017)
- Wellmo launches cloud-based platform to run employee wellness programs (18.11.2014)
- Hyvinvointiteknologiat mahdollistavat ennakoivan ja välittävän työterveyshuollon (in Finnish)
Blogs & Media
Wellmo featured in media and blogs:
- Wellmo mobile health platform joins EIT Digital Accelerator to conquer new customers and markets | EIT Digital
- New digital health services developed for the German insurance industry | XPRIMM
- Wellmo raises €1.3 Million in First Round of Funding | Kauppalehti
- Nokia break-up cast as a catalyst for Finland’s tech boom | Financial Times
- Finnish startup pursues a bigger vision for health tech | Good News from Finland
- Jumping Into A Wellness Platform | Tech Crunch
- Joko digitaalisuus kolahti? | IBM blog
- Kaikki terveystiedot yhdessä paikassa – testissä Taltioni | Tekes
- Suomi mielii takaisin terveysteknologian kärkikastiin | Tekes
- Uusia yrityksiä Innovation Millin kautta | Tekes